Hurtigruten, the world leader in exploration travel, announces their most extensive ship upgrade to date. In addition to redesigned cabins and suites—including the debut of five large suites with panoramic views—low-emission engines, a state-of-the-art Science Center, and four new restaurants are included in the ship’s refurbishment plan.
In 2020, MS Finnmarken will return to sailing along the Norwegian coastline on Hurtigruten’s 6-, 7-, and 12-day Coastal Voyages, and in 2021, the ship will explore handpicked destinations along the rugged Norwegian coastline on year-round expedition cruises.
“We will transform MS Finnmarken into a fully-fledged, premium expedition cruise ship, with all the comforts, facilities, and expertise you need to create a perfect adventure,” Hurtigruten CEO Daniel Skjeldam says.
The keel-to-mast upgrade will bring several new features to the ship. Some of the highlights include:
Substantially upgraded, low-emission engines, complying with all known and upcoming regulations (Tier 3), installment of shore-power connectivity, and preparing her for future battery pack installation.
All cabins and suites will be fully refurbished. Using natural Scandinavian materials such as granite, oak, birch, and wool, this will create a relaxed and stylish look and feel, which will add to the premium onboard experience.
On deck 8 aft, in the current gym and sauna area, five large suites with large panoramic windows and spectacular views will be added.
Four brand-new restaurants will be added:
- Aune will be social and informal with the use of natural elements in design and interiors. It will serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner inspired by Scandinavian cuisine.
- Lindstrøm, a specialty restaurantnamed after a favorite chef of Norwegian polar heroes, will be a premium fine dining restaurant with strong roots in traditional Norwegian cooking that are contrasted with modern cuisine.
- Fredheim, an informal eatery, is named after a legendary 1920s hunting station in Svalbard that sheltered adventurers from around the world. It will be added on deck 7 and, in addition, a new grill venue will be added outdoors on deck 8.
- Hurtigruten’s signature Science Center will be added on deck 4, packed with state-of-the-art technology and high-tech gadgets such as touch screens, science equipment, and other interactive features. This edutainment area will also be the onboard headquarters for the ship’s Expedition Team.
- The new wellness area will be added on deck 7, complete with a lounge, treatment rooms, gym, and panoramic sauna.
- The outdoor pool area will be fully refurbished, the onboard shop will be expanded, and the car deck will be replaced by the launching area for Hurtigruten explorer boats and other expedition equipment.
- MS Finnmarken’s extensive art collection will be preserved during the refurbishment, which will take place in the first quarter of 2020.
“Imagine standing on deck, watching the Aurora Borealis glimmer above in a star-riddled sky, sailing nearly within touching distance of a sheer 3,000-foot-high mountainside, or experiencing small communities, perpetual daylight, and a never-setting sun north of the Arctic Circle. This is what you get when you join a Norwegian adventure with Hurtigruten,” Skjeldam adds.
Hurtigruten started what is known as “the most beautiful voyage in the world”—a 1,350 nautical mile-long, 11-day round trip voyage from Bergen to Kirkenes—more than 125 years ago. Visiting 34 ports along the coast, Hurtigruten’s coastal ships source fresh produce from local suppliers, interact with local communities, and offer more than 90 different excursions, taking part in hikes, boat trips, dogsledding, and many other outdoor activities led by the onboard Expedition Teams.
“Hurtigruten has sailed the Norwegian coast every day since 1893, which gives us unparalleled know-how and love for these waters. Coastal Norway is and always will be our home, while we simultaneously explore a growing number of other adventurous destinations around the world,” Skjeldam says.
Hurtigruten’s 2020 Coastal Voyages are now open for booking aboard MS Finnmarken. Please visit MS Finnmarken's webpage to learn more about this exceptional ship.